FLORIDA – ABC Action News is committed to providing Tampa Bay area residents all of the updates on the coronavirus, COVID-19, and the impact it's having on our way of life. To help you stay on top of it all, we've compiled all the updates for Wednesday, April 8. For today's updates, visit www.abcactionnews.com/virus. Don't forget we are in this together!
- Miami rapper Pitbull said he is proud of teachers who accepted the challenge to teach students remotely during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The Florida Department of Economic Opportunity (DEO) launched a new, mobile-friendly online application for those seeking reemployment assistance.
- Governor Ron DeSantis issued an Executive Order delaying elections in Pasco County at the request of Pasco County Supervisor of Elections Brian Corley.
- The municipal elections scheduled on April 14 for San Antonio, Dade City and Zephyrhills are delayed.
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has new guidance for essential workers as it takes a small step toward reopening the country.
- U.S. Immigration Customs and Enforcement is reporting an increase in the number of detainees in its custody who have tested positive for the novel coronavirus.
- Vice President Mike Pence says Philadelphia is emerging as a potential hot spot for the coronavirus and urged its residents to heed social distancing guidelines.
- Department of Health reports 15,698 positive COVID-19 cases, and 323 deaths
- The government is set to report another shocking level of unemployment claims Thursday even after nearly 10 million people applied for benefits in the previous two weeks because of business shutdowns from the coronavirus.
- Health officials around the world are pushing to get more ventilators to treat coronavirus patients, but some doctors actually are moving away from using the machines. The reason is that some hospitals have reported unusually high death rates for coronavirus patients on ventilators.
- New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio says the city will begin counting coronavirus victims who weren’t tested for the disease.
- Leaders in cities hard-hit by the pandemic have been sounding the alarm over what they see as a disturbing trend of the virus killing African Americans at a higher rate, along with a lack of overall information about the race of victims as the nation’s death toll mounts.
- New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy says the state's primary will move from June 2 to July 7 due to the coronavirus outbreak
- UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson still in intensive care with COVID-19 but condition 'improving.'
- Melania Trump thanks medical workers in video.
- DOH reports 709 new cases, 13 new deaths in Florida. State's total currently at 15,456 cases and 309 deaths.
- Pope Francis denounces people taking financial advantage during the pandemic.
- British PM Boris Johnson stable, responding to treatment.
- WHO leader in Europe: Not time to relax measures on virus spread.
- One million doses of anti-malaria drug heading to Florida for coronavirus patients.
- Pinellas County updates list of essential services under 'safer-at-home' order.
- Britain's prime minister spends second night in intensive care unit while fighting the coronavirus.
Important updates for Tuesday, April 7
- New York City records more deaths from virus than 9/11.
- China reports no new deaths for 1st time since January.
- At midnight local time outbound travel restrictions from Wuhan were lifted for the first time since the city was locked down on January 23.
- To view more updates, click here.
Important updates from Monday, April 6
- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson moved to ICU as COVID-19 symptoms worsen.
- British Open cancels 2020 tournament. It's the first time since World War II.
- Coronavirus death toll in US passes 10,000.
- To view more updates, click here.