Family of 10 displaced after house fire in Plant City

Red Cross responded with help
Posted at 11:58 PM, Sep 23, 2016
and last updated 2016-09-23 23:58:35-04

A family of 10 needs help after a fire destroyed their home along Joe Macintosh Road in Plant City.

Hillsborough County Fire Rescue ruled it an accident. It started because of an unattended grill.

"There was a lot of smoke inside of the house," Lorenzo Zavala said.

Lorenzo Zavala, 12, checked on his family to make sure they got out safely.

"I saw fire coming out of the pan and then like was like spreading out and it went higher and I told my cousin if it was supposed to be like that and she said I don't think so," Lorenzo Zavala said.

Firefighters battled the fire for an hour. The size of the home and daytime heat made it tricky for firefighters. They brought in water because there weren't any fire hydrants.

MORE: 2-alarm fire destroys Plant City home

Guadalupe Zavala was at work when it happened and she rushed home.

"When I heard my daughter crying and screaming that the house was burning and I didn't know what was going on I was scared," Guadalupe Zavala said.

Guadalupe Zavala said it was tough to see the damage in person especially because she recently moved in with her family.

"It's hard because I was barely trying to get through with my girls and to see that I lost what I barely was starting to get hurts," Guadalupe Zavala said.

Six children lived inside the house ages 1 to 17. 

Guadalupe Zavala said her family will be grateful for any help.

The Red Cross responded.

"We lost everything. We lost clothes...everything...our home," Guadalupe Zavala said.

Firefighters said people need to remember to keep their grills 10 feet away from their home and to never leave a grill unattended.