Hernando County Fire Rescue found a two dogs, one dead and one sick, inside a closed garage with a generator running Wednesday morning.
Neighbors were reportedly pounding on the doors to see if anyone was home. HCFR forced entry and found a portable generator running inside the garage with the door closed.
The two dogs were found in the garage. One was killed, more than likely due to the carbon monoxide fumes.
The other dog was found to be alive but required aggressive treatment by fire rescue personnel. Crews will be working with Hernando County Animal Services to further care for the dog.
Hernando County Fire warns that generator usage is deadly if not used appropriately.
WATCH: How to safely use and store a generator