Hurricane Dorian is being described by the National Hurricane Center as catastrophic and life-threatening. This is the latest information coming into our newsroom.
- Hurricane Dorian closings and cancellations
- Hurricane Season: Emergency phone numbers, apps you need to know
- Sandbags available at these Tampa Bay area locations
Sunday, September 1
- Hurricane Dorian makes landfall on the eastern end of Grand Bahama Island as a Category 5 storm.
- Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport will close Monday, September 2 at noon.
- Hardee County Schools canceled their classes for Tuesday, September 3.
- Video authorities say is being circulated by residents of Abaco in the Bahamas shows homes missing parts of their roofs, utility lines down and cars overturned by Hurricane Dorian
- The U.S. National Hurricane Center says a hurricane warning has been issued for a stretch of Florida's east coast as powerful Hurricane Dorian approaches.
- Mayor of Jacksonville says mandatory evacuations start at 8 a.m. Monday for zones A & B
- Director general of Bahamas' Ministry of Tourism & Aviation says there is a huge amount of damage to property and infrastructure, but "luckily no loss of life reported"
- Palm Beach International will cease all commercial air service Monday
- President Trump urges everyone in Dorian's potential path to obey all warnings and evacuation orders, saying public safety must always come first
- Highlands County is under a voluntary evacuation for citizens living in low lying areas and mobile homes.
- Volusia County officials issue a mandatory evacuation order for residents who live on the beachside and in low-lying areas, RVs and mobile homes beginning at 10 a.m. Monday
- National Hurricane Center warns people not to venture out in the eye of Dorian and to take shelter immediately
- The eye of Dorian makes second landfall on Great Abaco Island near Marsh Harbour, tied for the strongest Atlantic hurricane landfall on record with the 1935 Labor Day hurricane.
- Toll suspensions to include Alligator Alley, the Turnpike Mainline (SR 91), including the Homestead Extension (SR 821), Sawgrass Expressway (SR 869) and Beachline Expressway (SR 528).
- Coast Guard, partner agency rescue two boaters near Sebastian Inlet during Hurricane Dorian
- Mandatory evacuations for all areas east of US Highway 1 in Indian River including the barrier island beginning Monday at 8 a.m.
- Mandatory evacuations issued for barrier islands (including areas from Kennedy Space Center South to the South Beaches, Merritt Island) and low-lying coast areas and manufactured homes beginning 9/2 Monday at 8 a.m. in Brevard County
- 23 pets to arrive at SPCA Tampa Bay in Largo this afternoon after being evacuated from Jacksonville
- Tolls at the 25 mile marker and 100 mile marker on I-75 (Alligator Alley) suspended until further notice
- Dorian makes landfall in Northwestern Bahamas with sustained winds of up to 185 mph
- Orlando International Airport officials said late Saturday that the airport will remain open Monday because of the turn northward in Hurricane Dorian's projected path.
- Dorian becomes strongest hurricane in modern records for NW Bahamas with 180 mph winds
- Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex to close likely through Tuesday
- Mandatory evacuation orders issued for coastal areas of Palm Beach County and Martin County
- Florida National Guard has 4,400 soldiers and airmen activated for Hurricane Dorian response operations
- Dorian strengthens again, now packing 175 mph winds
- Palm Beach County ordering evacuations and opening shelters
- Hurricane Dorian becomes a category 5 hurricane with 160 mph winds