TAMPA, Fla. — As the state prepares for Hurricane Dorian, which has the possibility of making landfall as a category 3 hurricane, these local places have made sandbags available to residents:
Best way to fill sandbags:
According to OSHA, it’s best to fill your sandbags half or two-thirds full. If they’re filled all the way, you’ll have gaps, which will cause water to seep through. The agency also suggests going in a team of three. Someone would open and close the bags, another person would shovel and the third person would carry the bags.
HURRICANE CENTER | ABC Action News Hurricane Center
Residents can visit these self-serve sandbag locations in the county. They are open 24 hours. Officials say bring a shovel and be prepared to fill your own bags.
- Moon Lake Park, 8985 Lake Dr., New Port Richey
- Magnolia Valley Golf Course Clubhouse, 7223 Massachusetts Ave., New Port Richey
- Veterans Memorial Park, 14333 Hicks Road, Hudson
- Pasco Fire Rescue Station 17, 2951 Seven Springs Blvd., New Port Richey
- Land O' Lakes Recreation Center, 3032 Collier Parkway, Land O' Lakes
- Pasco County Public Works (C-Barn), 30908 Warder Road, San Antonio
- Wesley Chapel District Park, 7727 Boyette Rd., Wesley Chapel
- Old Dade City Police Station, 38042 Pasco Avenue, Dade City
- New Port Richey Public Works Operations Center, 6132 Pine Hill Rd, New Port Richey (7 a.m. – 4 p.m.)
- Zephyrhills Fire Station 2, 6907 Dairy Rd, Zephyrhills (8 a.m. – 5 p.m.)
- Moon Lake Park, 8985 Lake Dr., New Port Richey
Sandbag locations will be open Sunday from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m.
- John Chesnut Sr. Park: 2200 East Lake Road in Palm Harbor
- Walsingham Park: 12615 102nd Ave North in Largo
- Lealman Exchange: 5175 45th St. N in St. Petersburg
*Limit is 20 per person
Pinellas Park is opening a self-service sandbag site for residents, up to 10 sandbags each. Bring a water bill or driver's license indicating you are a resident.
- Helen Howarth Park: 6401 94th Ave N. Pinellas Park, FL - Thursday hours 9:00 am - 7:00 pm and Friday hours 9:00 am - 7:00 pm
- Pinebrook Park: 7202 118th Ave N. Pinellas Park, FL - Thursday hours 10:00 am - 7:00 pm and Friday hours 9:00 am - 7:00 pm
- Broderick Park: 6101 66th Ave N. Pinellas Park, FL - Thursday hours 10:00 am - 7:00 pm and Friday hours 9:00 am - 7:00 pm
For more information about sandbags, please contact the Public Works Department at 727-369-5617.
Oldsmar is opening a sandbag station for residents on Friday at noon.
- 100 State Street West, east parking lot of City Hall
Dunedin will have a sandbag distribution center Friday from 8 a.m. until 7 p.m., Saturday and Sunday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. weather permitting.
- Behind Fire Station 61 at 903 Michigan Blvd.
*Limit is 15 bags per household, proof of residency is required.
RADAR | Track storms near you
The city of St. Pete will be distributing sandbags until 5 p.m. on Saturday. They will not be distributing them Sunday due to the change in Dorian's forecast.
- Northeast Park, 875 62nd Avenue NE. (located at the Cardinal Drive entrance to Mangrove Bay Golf Course)
- James "JC" Turner Fields, 643 22nd Avenue S. (located on the south side of Bartlett Park) sandbags will be distributed in the parking lot of the fields
- Northwest Pool, 2331 60th Street N., sandbags will be distributed in the pool parking lot
*Limited to 10 per household
St. Pete Beach
- Sandbags are available for pickup from the Public Works Building at 7581 Boca Ciega Dr. Limit 10 sandbags.
- Sandbag are available at a self-serving location at Archibald Memorial Beach Park, 15100 Gulf Blvd. The station is open 24 hours a day, public works staff will be available to help those unable to fill or lift sandbags into their vehicle each day from 7 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Residents can visit these sites to fill up to 10 bags of sand for each household from 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Officials say bring a shovel and the following locations will provide both sand and sandbags.
- Mulberry – 900 NE 5th St., Mulberry
- Lakeland – 8970 N. Campbell Road, Lakeland
- Fort Meade – 1061 NE 9th St., Fort Meade
- Frostproof – 350 County Road 630A, Frostproof
- Auburndale – 1701 Holt Road, Auburndale
- Dundee – 805 Dr. Martin Luther King St. SW, Dundee
- Winter Haven - 2269 7th St SW
Hillsborough County residents can get sandbags until 8 p.m. Saturday, a maximum of 10 per family, at the following locations. Residents must show ID verifying they live in the county.
- Edward Medard Conservation Park – 6140 Turkey Creek Road, Plant City
- E.G. Simmons Conservation Park, 2401 19th Ave. NW, Ruskin
- Ed Radice Park, 14720 Ed Radice Drive, Tampa
- Plant City Stormwater Division, 1302 W. Spencer St.
Starting Thursday, Tampa residents can get sandbags at the following locations from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. Residents must show ID to verify they live within city limits. There is a limit of 10 bags per person.
- Himes Ave. Complex - 4501 S. Himes Ave
- MacFarlane Park – 1700 N. MacDill Ave.
- Al Barnes Park – 2902 N. 32nd St.
The City will make sandbags available to City residents beginning Friday, Aug. 30 from noon to 7pm at the Sports Complex located at 10369 US Highway 301. Distribution will continue on Saturday from 8am-5pm.
Please bring an ID or recent utility bill that includes a Temple Terrace address as proof of residence. Note that the stations will be self-service with bags, shovels and sand provided. Assistance will be available for the elderly or persons with disabilities. There will be a limit of 10 sandbags per address.
- 4508 S. Grandmarch Ave. Homosassa (Near Grover Cleveland Blvd.) — open until 5 p.m. Saturday, closed Sunday on
- 7490 W. Gulf to Lake Hwy. Crystal River (Near Dan’s Clam Stand – on opposite side of road) — open until 5 p.m. Saturday, closed Sunday on
- Spruce Drive Boat Ramp – Hernando, off C-39 4863 E. Spruce Drive Dunnellon, FL 34434 — open until 7 p.m. Saturday, open 7 a.m. until 7 p.m. Sunday, closed Monday on
*There is a limit of 15 bags per vehicle
Bags are available from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Assistance to fill the bags at sand pile locations for Wednesday and Thursday will be as follows:
- Avon Park 11:00 am to 3:00 pm
- Sebring 12:00 pm to 4:00 pm
- Lake Placid 7:00 am to 11:00 am
For those that may need sandbags they're available for pickup at the Road and Bridge Office located at 4344 George Blvd. Sebring, FL 33875. Sand will be available at the below locations:
• Avon Park sand area will be at the intersection of CR 17, Isabelle Lake Road and Old Bombing Range Road
• Sebring sand area will be on S. George Blvd., just north of the EOC
• Lake Placid sand area will be at the intersection of CR 621 and Highlands Lake Drive
The Sheriff’s Office will have personnel at each location to assist with the filling process; there is a limit of 10 sand bags per person.
Sandbags will be available Friday, Aug. 30 and Saturday, Aug. 31 from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. at the following:
- G.T. Bray Park parking lot
- Bennett Park
- Lakewood Ranch Park
- Bradenton Area Convention Center
The City of Bradenton has begun distributing sandbags!
They will be available at the City’s Public Works annex, located at the corner of 13th Ave W. & 9th St. W.
Thursday, August 29 - 11:00AM - 3:30PM
Friday, August 30 - 7:00AM - 3:30PM
Friday, August 31 - 7:00AM - 3:30PM
Please enter the distribution line from 9th Street West into the Public Works parking lot just north of LECOM Park.
Residents MUST show a driver’s license with proof of current address within the city limits. There is a limit of 10 sandbags per vehicle.
Sandbags are available to Hardee County residents at the following location:
- Hardee County Road Dept., 205 Hanchey Road, in Wauchula, between the hours of 8:00a - 5:00p today through Friday. Saturday and Sunday times are still being considered.
- City of Wauchula, 205 N. 3rd Avenue, (the water tower) in Wauchula will begin today (8/29/19) at 2:00p - 5:00p and will continue through Friday 8:00a - 5:00p.
You will be required to fill the bags yourself. For sandbags at the Hardee County Road Department, you must show your identification and speak with staff. Some shovels are provided, but to make sure you have one, you may want
to bring your own. If you are disabled, please advise the staff on duty at Hanchey Road, contact Send Me Missions at 863-800-9654.
This story will be updated to reflect any new locations.