Tallahassee, Fla. — The National Rifle Association's lawsuit against the state of Florida is moving forward, after a delay of more than a year.
The lawsuit, filed last year, challenges Florida's law that raised the buying age for firearms from 18 to 21. Florida's ban on anyone under 21 purchasing a firearm came in the wake of Parkland, where 17 people were killed in the mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.
The NRA's legal challenge was stalled after the group pushed to conceal the identities of the plaintiffs in the case, arguing it was necessary to protect them from attacks.
In an email to I-Team Investigator Kylie McGivern, NRA Florida Lobbyist and NRA Past National President Marion Hammer said while they waited on the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals.
"Young adults who are old enough to sign contracts, get bank loans, buy homes, go to war carrying firearms -- and die for our country, were being denied their constitutional right to buy a firearm to protect themselves and their families," the email stated.
On Tuesday, the NRA withdrew its appeal to conceal the identifies of plaintiffs.
"NRA withdrew the John Doe/Jane Doe appeal to re-start the primary case and restore the rights of Florida's young adults," said Hammer.
NRA member Radford Fant, of Duval County, is named in an amended complaint against the state. Fant is described as a Florida resident between the ages of 18 and 21.
The case now moves forward in federal civil court with a trial scheduled for next fall.
Attorney General Ashley Moody's office said because this is an ongoing case, they cannot comment.