HERNANDO COUNTY, Fla. — Hardworking single mom Rasheema Jeffreys can breath a little easier this Christmas, literally.
On Dec. 6 ABC Action News showed you how Jeffreys' apartment was covered in mold and the landlord would do nothing to fix it.
She didn't have the money to move and her asthmatic son was having breathing problems. Jeffreys had contacted everyone she could think of for help, but no one would listen.
"It was really frustrating but I just had to keep pushing. The last resource was the news and I’m glad that I reached out to you," she said.
Angie Bonfardino, Executive Director of United Way of Hernando County stepped in to help.
"After being contacted by ABC Action News we immediately set up an appointment with Rasheema," she said. "I personally couldn’t stop thinking about her. I don’t know anybody who wasn’t greatly impacted by the footage. It wasn’t only an unfortunate situation, it turned into a health concern so we felt it was our duty to take action right away."
United Way used emergency funds to help Rasheema with a deposit and first month’s rent to move into a new apartment. St. Vincent de Paul helped pay for a hotel stay before they were able to move.
And many others from all over the community reached out to help Rasheema with everything from moving expenses to groceries. United Way also helped buy Christmas gifts for Rasheema and her son.
"I just want to thank you and thank God for getting me out of that situation that I was in," Jeffreys said.
Jeffreys plans to meet with a lawyer regarding her landlord issue.
United Way says if you’re in a situation where you need to find resources to help in a similar situation you can reach out to United Way by calling 2-1-1 and they can try to help assist with your problem.