WASHINGTON (AP) — The White House has announced that the U.S. will broaden its European travel ban, adding the United Kingdom and Ireland to its list.
Under the restrictions, American citizens, green card holders and others are still allowed to return home to the U.S., but will be funneled to 13 airports and be subjected to health screenings and quarantine orders, according to two people familiar with the plan who spoke on condition of anonymity before the official announcement expected Saturday.
Vice President Mike pence did confirm the announcement, saying the UK/Ireland restrictions will begin at midnight on Monday.
"We're looking at it very seriously yeah because they've had a little bit of activity, unfortunately, so we're going to be looking into that," President Trump said. We actually already have looked at it, and that is going to be announced."
Earlier this week, President Trump announced a ban on travel from Europe to the United States for the next 30 days. However, that ban included exemptions for the United Kingdom and Americans who have undergone appropriate screenings.
"We are marshaling the full power of the federal government and the private sector to protect the American people," Trump said, emphasizing that the pandemic started off of U.S. shores, and specifically pinpointing China.
As of Saturday morning, there were approximately 150,000 confirmed coronavirus cases worldwide.