As the Tampa Bay area continues to brace for the coronavirus pandemic, some of the local municipalities have either canceled or made changes to their summer camp programs.
ABC Action News has put together a list of summer camp programs that have implemented changes or canceled all together for 2020.
CITY OF TAMPA
The City of Tampa's Parks and Recreation Department will begin summer with a two-week Summer Kickoff Camp program. The program is free for children of Tampa residents.
The camp will run from June 1 to 12, Monday-Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. at eight sites with limited registration. Residents will register for lottery enrollment between May 26-27 from 9 a.m. to 11:59 p.m.
Tampa's Summer Kickoff Camp will be following CDC, local and state health department guidelines. New policies and procedures have been put in place to ensure social distancing among children, officials say.
Hillsborough County is canceling its Parks and Recreations summer camps.
Pasco County will have a modified 2020 Summer Day Camp program.
The 2020 Summer Day Camp program will go from June 15 to July 24, Monday-Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Online registration begins Saturday, May 30 at 10 a.m. You must register for all six weeks to participate.
There will be new safety and health procedures for the camp.
- Children’s temperature taken daily before being accepted into camp
- No field trips, to ensure a controlled environment throughout the day
- Sign in/check out at your vehicle
- Reduced camper-to-staff ratios/group intermingling to promote social distancing
- Increased sanitizing of facilities and equipment
- Staff will be required to wear face coverings
However, on Friday the county announced it would be "evaluating" plans following an announcement from Gov. DeSantis that lifted all restrictions on youth activities, including athletics and summer camps.
The Polk County Parks & Natural Resources Division canceled 2020 camps and recreation programming. That includes Camp R.O.C.K., Summer Frenzy Programs, A to Z Nature Camp and Discovery Center Summer Recreation Outdoor Education.
“This difficult decision was made due to the many challenges created by the COVID-19 pandemic,” said Parks and Natural Resources Director Gaye Sharpe. “The health and safety of our campers, parents and staff is paramount during this challenging time.”
For more information about Polk County Parks & Natural Resource Division’s program closures, please call (863) 534-7377.
According to the county's website, Summer Camps are to-be-determined on CDC Guidelines because of COVID-19-19.
CITY OF ST. PETE
St. Petersburg Parks and Recreation website says Summer Camps will take places June 1 through August 7 from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Click here for more information.
Online registration for both specialty and day camp programs will open June 8 at 9 a.m. Camps start Monday, June 29 and will run for five weeks through the end of July. A minicamp will be held from August 3 through August 7. This year, there will be 50 spots available per week at each of the five camp sites, according to Nicole Rissler of Sarasota County's Parks, Recreation and Natural Resources Department. A sixth week camp will be offered at Colonial Oaks and Woodmere Park from Aug. 3 – 7 (pending registrations and staff availability).
The county will not be running field trips at daycamps, but a variety of people will be going to camps for presentations / fun activities. And there will be a decreased ratio of campers to counselors and enhanced cleaning at all sites
Hernando County released its full lineup of kids programs, which includes the following camps: basketball, Weeki Wachee Kayak Days, sports camp, football camp, Camp Funshine.
According to the county's website, registration is open for several camps.
- Youth Kayaking Camp — June 15-19, 2020 | 9 am - 4 pm; 7:30 am early drop-off | 5 p.m. late pick-up | $200 + tax Registration fee | Ages 11-14.
- Camp Sport 'n Splash — June 8- 12 | July 6- July 10 | August 3- 8 | 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. | With option of 7 a.m. early drop-off | Late pick-up by 6 p.m. | For boys and girls ages 11 to 14 | $50 per child with $10 discounts for additional kids in same family
- Camp Color Rush — June 22-26 | July 20-24 | 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. | With option of 7 a.m. early drop-off | Late pick-up by 6 p.m. | For boys and girls ages 11 to 14 | $50 per child with $10 discounts for additional kids in same family.
Registration for the county's Summer Blast Camp opened Wednesday, May 27. The camp will be held at the G.T. Bray Park Recreation Center and the John H. Marble Recreation Center starting June 1.
The county says Parks and Natural Resources' popular outdoor specialty camps will also be offered at some preserved starting June 8.
Story developing, check back for an updated list of counties and cities.