Moderna is having trouble finding kids 12-17 years old to participate in COVID-19 vaccine trials
The lack of volunteers could delay that age group from getting vaccinated. Most kids typically don't have severe cases of COVID-19 but they can still spread the virus.
Only 800 kids a month are signing up for the trial, and the study needs at least 3,000 participants to get FDA approval.
- Be between 12 and 17 years old
- Have never tested positive for COVID-19
- Be in good health
Participants must not:
- Have travelled outside of the United States in the past month
- Have participated in another trial in the past month
- Be a current smoker or have a history of smoking
The total length of trial participation is a little over a year (13 months) and includes 6 study visits to the study clinic, and 2 visits by phone or video with the study doctor.
- Study volunteers will be given two injections in the upper arm – one month apart. Each study volunteer has a chance of receiving either the mRNA-1273 study vaccine or the placebo. This random assignment will be a 2:1 ratio, meaning there is a 67% chance of receiving the study vaccine.
- Study volunteers will have a nasal swab prior to each study injection to test for the presence of COVID-19.
- Study volunteers will get a call from the study doctor after each injection, and then monthly after that to monitor for COVID-19 symptoms. During these phone calls, the study doctor and medical staff will check how each study volunteer is feeling and ask for updates on their health.
- Study volunteers will be asked to use an eDiary app on their smartphone or a provided smartphone to complete weekly entries about any COVID-19 symptoms for the duration of the study.
- Study volunteers will have their final visit to the research clinic about 12 months from the date of their second injection.
The study doctor and medical staff will talk to you and your child about additional medical support that your child will receive if he/she experiences COVID-19 symptoms at any time while in this clinical trial. Insurance is not needed to join this clinical trial, and compensation for your time will be available.
You will need to bring your child to one of the study clinics taking part in this clinical trial. Sites are located in:
- Meridian, ID, US
- Houston, TX, US
- San Antonio, Texas, US
- (Not yet recruiting) Syracuse, NY, US
- (Recruiting) West Jordan, UT, US
- (Recruiting) Minneapolis, MN, US
- (Not yet recruiting) Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, US
- (Not yet recruiting) Banning, California, US
- (Not yet recruiting) San Antonio, Texas, US
- (Not yet recruiting) Valparaiso, Indiana, US
- (Not yet recruiting) La Mesa, California, US