In an effort to make COVID-19 coronavirus testing as convenient as possible to all residents, Hillsborough County, in conjunction with health care partners, will open two additional free testing sites next week in Sun City Center and Wimauma. As a reminder, all residents who want an appointment for a test should call (813) 272-5900.
The additional locations at 701 Valley Forge Blvd. in Sun City Center and at 5128 Florida State Road 674 in Wimauma will make COVID-19 coronavirus testing more convenient for residents in vulnerable communities in southern Hillsborough County with operating hours from 8 a.m. until 11 a.m. on Mondays and Wednesdays.
Residents with appointments are welcome to come to the new testing sites on foot or on bicycles, but ALL residents must have an appointment.
The new test site in Sun City Center is being offered in collaboration with Redeemer Lutheran Church and the Crisis Center of Tampa Bay/Transcare. The Wimauma test site will be operated in collaboration with Enterprising Latinas and AdventHealth.
In addition to the new sites, another new testing site opened this week in Brandon with evening and weekend hours. The additional sites offer Hillsborough County residents a total of seven convenient locations to get a test, in addition to the in-home testing offered by the County for homebound residents or residents without access to transportation.
Hillsborough County continues to offer free testing at three Community Resource Centers around the County at the locations below, in addition to the Raymond James Stadium site:
- Lee Davis Community Resource Center, 3402 N. 22nd St., Tampa
- Plant City Community Resource Center, 307 N. Michigan Ave., Plant City
- SouthShore Community Resource Center, 201 14th Ave. SE, Ruskin
- Suncoast Community Health Centers, 313 S. Lakewood Drive, Brandon
Even though residents no longer need to be symptomatic to get a COVID-19 test, pre-registration is still required through Hillsborough County’s call center, (813) 272-5900, which is open weekdays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Pre-Registration is Required:
- There is NO CHARGE for the test administered at Hillsborough County locations.
- Residents are NOT REQUIRED to have health insurance to get tested.
- Should a test be scheduled for you, you will be informed of time, date, and testing location during this call.
What to Bring:
- Personal vehicles MUST BE under the maximum height of 8 feet.
- Limit vehicle passengers to those getting a test.
- Have a photo ID with name and date of birth for all persons being tested (can be Florida driver’s license, state-issued ID, or passport).
- Bring the CORRECT confirmation code provided by the call center; this can be a printed copy of the testing confirmation email received from the call center, a screen-shot of the confirmation number, or the code may be provided verbally. A printed code or screenshot on the phone helps the process, but is not required.
- You will be required to provide the following information:
- Full name
- Current address (where you are staying)
- Best phone number to reach you in order to receive test results
What to Expect:
- You will be greeted by a health care provider in personal protective gear who will give you instructions.
- A minimally invasive test will be administered.
- Test results are not immediate. Most people will receive results within 10 days. After taking the test, you will be given information on what to do while you await the results.
- You will receive test results via the telephone number you gave at the time of pre-screening.
- Please be patient – calling back to check on your results will not expedite the process.
Testing sites are staffed by health care professionals in medical protective gear who are trained to test for COVID-19 coronavirus. Directional signage and law enforcement will help residents through the testing site in an orderly fashion.
People who are experiencing a medical emergency should dial 9-1-1 immediately.