Hillsborough County residents with roof damage after Irma can now apply for 'Operation Blue Roof' to have free temporary coverings installed through the program.
The program is a mission provided by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Operation for FEMA.
The service is free and residents can sign up for the program September 18 through September 22 from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. at the Seffner-Mango Branch Library located at 410 N Kingsway Road in Seffner.
For a list of more sites, click here.
This program is for primary residences or permanently occupied rental properties with less than 50 percent structural damage. Vacation rental properties are not eligible. Once the blue roof is installed, the structure must be habitable. Roofs that are flat or made of metal or clay, slate or asbestos tile do not qualify.
This program is available at no cost to eligible primary homeowners in Broward, Charlotte, Collier, DeSoto, Glades, Hardee, Hendry, Highlands, Hillsborough, Lee, Manatee, Miami-Dade, Monroe, Palm Beach, Pinellas, Polk, and Sarasota counties. Other counties may be added at a later date.
Some things residents should know:
- All storm debris must be removed for the roof to qualify.
- Applicants must grant permission for the Corps of Engineers and its agents to go onto individual properties to install the temporary roof.
- Beware of solicitations. Blue Roof representatives never solicit participation, nor will they ask for Social Security or bank account numbers.
- Look for identification. Corps employees who do assessments for Operation Blue Roof carry U.S. Government ID cards. If you don't see it, ask for it.
- Contractors will have a copy of a signed Right of Entry form.
- Representatives from Operation Blue Roof may call to clarify information or location, but they will not ask for sensitive information.
- Pets must be kept inside or properly restrained away in order for workers to safely access the roof.
For more information about Operation Blue Roof and eligibility requirements, call 1-888-ROOF-BLU (1-888-766-3258), or visit http://www.usace.army.mil/Missions/Emergency-Operations/National-Response-Framework/Temporary-Roofing/.