TAMPA, Fla. — Hurricane season brings many hazards along with it, and one of the most dangerous is downed powers lines.
Remember, never touch them and follow these guidelines:
- Assume all wires are power lines and assume they are energized.
- Always assume that a downed power line is energized, and move away to safety.
- Do not try to touch a downed line with your hand or any objects such as a stick or pole.
- Avoid touching anything or anyone who is in contact with a fallen power line.
- Do not drive over a downed power line.
- Keep children and pets away from fallen electric lines.
- While some energized wires spark and snap, others may not appear dangerous.
- Standing water can hide energized power lines or other hazards, or put you at risk of drowning.
- Call 911 immediately to report a fallen power line.