SportsFootballTampa Bay Bucs

Actions

Bucs defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul involved in single-car crash

Posted: 9:21 PM, May 02, 2019
Updated: 2019-05-03 04:08:04Z
JASON-PIERRE-PAUL-TAMPA-BAY-BUCCANEERS-BUCS.png

TAMPA, Fla. -- A key member of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers defense was involved in a single-car crash on Thursday.

According to a statement released by Buccaneers general manager Jason Licht, Tampa Bay defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul was involved in a single-car crash Thursday morning in South Florida.

TAMPA BAY BUCS | The latest on the Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Licht said the team was told the 30-year-old defensive end was evaluated at the hospital and was released. The Buccaneers did not specify the severity of Pierre-Paul's injury.

Licht said Pierre-Paul was not cited in the crash. The Buccaneers did not specify the passenger's conditions.

"Our immediate concern is for the safety and well-being of Jason and his passenger," Licht said in a statement.

Pierre-Paul, who previously starred with the South Florida Bulls and the New York Giants, joined the Bucs in 2018 and recorded 12.5 sacked for the team.

Back in July 2015, Pierre-Paul was involved in a freak fireworks accident. He had to get his right index finger amputated following the Fourth of July accident.

Below is the full statement from Licht:
“We have been informed that Jason was involved in a one-car accident early this morning in South Florida in which he was not cited. We know that he was evaluated at a local hospital and has since been released. Our immediate concern is for the safety and well-being of Jason and his passenger. We have been in contact with Jason and will be getting him further evaluated by our medical staff in the near future.”

Story developing, refresh for updates. Stay with ABC Action News for the latest.