News

Actions

Disco ball installation dooms Ybor nightclub

Posted at 1:52 PM, Apr 07, 2016

A welder who was trying to install a new bracket to relocate a disco ball tells the Tampa Fire department that his work may be the reason a historic Ybor City building was destroyed.

Fire department spokesperson Jason Penny tells ABC Action News that sparks from the second floor installation work appear to have ignited old fire retardant in the ceiling of the Ybor Amphitheater, leading to a three-alarm fire late Wednesday night.

MORE | 3-Alarm fire at Amphitheater in Ybor

Much of the historic 7th Avenue building was destroyed, and two firefighters were hospitalized due to smoke inhalation during the fire fight.

Those firefighters were treated and released by Thursday morning.

Investigators have determined that a structural engineer must come to evaluate the building containing the Amphitheatre Club.
 
Next to the Ybor nightclub is the Jazz House, which also has extreme water and smoke damage is closed as well.  The Fire Marshal has issued an order to vacate all the business on the south side of 7th Avenue between 16th and 17th Streets.
 
The order was given to ensure the affected businesses are able to safely have electrical power returned once the buildings are deemed safe by the structural engineer. 
 
The fire at the Ybor Amphitheater raged for six hours before finally deemed under control at around 1:30 a.m. on Thursday. 

During a morning inspection, overnight smoldering had escalated to a rekindling, and firefighters again were called out to put out more hot spots.