NewsFlorida News

Actions

Elderly Florida couple die from carbon monoxide, police say

WFTS-Web-Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 1:25 PM, Jan 27, 2020
and last updated 2020-01-27 13:25:26-05

NEW SMYRNA BEACH, Fla. (AP) — An elderly Florida couple died of carbon monoxide poisoning after they left their car running inside their garage, police said.

William Whitehurst, 93, and his 91-year-old wife, Dorothy, were found dead Sunday in their bed by a neighbor who went to check on them, New Smyrna Beach police said Monday.

There was no sign of trauma. An officer checked the garage directly below their bedroom and found that the car's ignition was turned to the on position with the engine stalled and the battery dead. A test of the vehicle interior showed levels of carbon monoxide that would incapacitate or kill, police said.

It is unknown when the Whitehursts died as autopsies are pending.

New Smyrna Beach is on the Atlantic Coast, about 100 miles (161 kilometers) south of Jacksonville.