French fries left frying on stove cause two-alarm fire at Tampa apartment complex

20 people were displaced due to the fire
Posted at 5:57 PM, Dec 13, 2016
and last updated 2016-12-14 06:44:59-05

Hillsborough County Fire Rescue battled a two-alarm fire at the Cordova Apartment Homes Tuesday.

Arriving fire crews noticed heavy smoke and flames coming from a two-story wood building located at 12702 University Club Dr. in Tampa.




Investigators say the fire started after someone left french fries frying on their stove in a first floor apartment.

Approximately 45 firefighters responded to the scene to fight the fire. There were 16 units from Hillsborough County Fire Rescue and Tampa Fire Rescue. 

One woman was taken to the hospital with minor injuries.

Zaved Quorishi says that woman is his wife. He says she and their two children had to jump out of their second story balcony to escape the flames.

"I didn't know if I was going to land in the concrete or the grass," said their son Mohamed.

Two dogs were killed in the fire.

At least twenty people, including children were left displaced.

"God knows where I'm going to sleep tonight," said Quorishi.

The Red Cross is now assisting those families.