News

Actions

Fire started by plastic bag on a computer charger

WFTS-Web-Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 8:46 AM, Jun 07, 2017
and last updated 2017-06-07 08:46:30-04

A plastic bag on a computer charger caught fire causing an assisted living home in Tampa to evacuate late Tuesday night.

Fire crews responded to the Whispering Oaks ALF just before midnight where they found a small fire in one of the resident's bedrooms.

After conducting their investigation, fire personnel were able to determine that the fire was ignited by the direct heating of a plastic bag positioned atop a computer charger on the floor of the bed.

The resident and occupant of the bed alerted staff which generated facility fire/emergency protocol, causing the residents to evacuate the building. The fire was quickly extinguished and all residents were relocated and kept safe.