NewsSarasota, Manatee County


Manatee County deputy shoots man stabbing sister's boyfriend; investigation underway

Sheriff believes attack was over rent
Posted at 1:09 PM, Oct 21, 2020
and last updated 2020-10-21 18:11:55-04

BRADENTON, Fla. — Manatee County Sheriff Rick Wells says a deputy shot a man who was stabbing his sister's boyfriend on Tuesday morning, adding that the crime scene was a "gruesome" sight.

According to Wells, a woman called 911 just after 10 a.m. to report that her brother was "stabbing her boyfriend to death." The sheriff believes it could be related to an ongoing issue over rent money.

The incident happened in the 4300 block of 80th St., West in Bradenton.

Wells says a deputy responded and found the three people in the carport area. He said the suspect raised his hand and turned away from the deputy then turned back with a gun. After turning back, Wells said the man got into a "shooting stance" and the deputy fired.

"This is what we train for and, unfortunately, this is the world that we live in," Wells said. "We know that at any moment things can change."

The suspect, according to Wells, had the gun on him but at this time it's unclear where exactly.

While the exact number of shots fired by the deputy is unknown Wells said it was multiple. He added that, at this time, they don't believe the suspect was able to fire any shots at the deputy.

The suspect and the stabbing victim are both in critical condition at Blake Hospital. Wells said the victim suffered several stab wounds.

"It's a gruesome scene, there's a lot of blood on the carport area," Wells said. "There's a lot of stab wounds to the front and to the back of the victim."

According to the sheriff, deputies have responded to the home before on "civil matters." He said he believes deputies were last there on Tuesday because the suspect was "extremely agitated" that his sister's boyfriend wasn't paying rent.

Wells said the deputy did an outstanding job protecting himself and the victim.

"We are very blessed that the deputy is okay and no one else was injured," Wells said.

The deputy, who Wells says has been with the office for several years, is on administrative leave per policy.