NewsSarasota, Manatee County


1 firefighter, 2 others injured in house explosion in Manatee County

Posted at 5:40 PM, Dec 03, 2020
and last updated 2020-12-03 23:17:55-05

BRADENTON, FLA.- Two people and a firefighter were injured in a house explosion in Manatee County.

Cedar Hammock Fire Rescue said around 11:32 a.m. they responded to a report of a natural gas leak in the 2900 block of 9th Street W.

TECO representatives came to the area shortly after and tried to find and control the leak.

Around 2:03 p.m., officials said an explosion was heard by on-scene personnel. The explosion was at 804 29th Ave. W.

Karina Lopez said her house exploded while her family was inside. She was at work when she got a call from the hospital.

"They said my house had exploded and then I called my mom to see what was going on. I was trying to call my brother and my dad, but they weren't responding so I got really scared at work and left," said Karina Lopez.

Lopez said her 23-year-old brother and her father suffered severe burns and were taken to Blake Medical Center. Her mother was also inside the home, but she escaped without injuries.

"It's just devastating. We are just asking for everybody's prayers," said Lopez.

Lopez said she was waiting to learn more about their injuries. She said she is not allowed in the hospital because of COVID-19 restrictions.

During fire operations, one firefighter was also injured. CHFR said those injuries are not life-threatening.

The house fire was controlled and extinguished and TECO was able to find and control the gas leak.

Officials said they were able to determine that there was a gas build up in the sewer lines that caused the explosion.