An emotional story of survival for a St. Petersburg man after he was shocked by 7,200 volts of electricity while working.
Bradley Cater was just days away from his first Father's Day when he went to work and ended up in critical condition after being shocked by an electric pole while trimming trees.
Cater was working in the 6300 block of 25th Ave N in St. Petersburg when emergency responders found him nearly unresponsive.
"I didn't even know I was shocked at first," said Cater.
The new father has just recently returned home, but is now on extensive medical leave as he is nearly blind in one eye with extensive nerve damage that has left him without feeling in his left leg and three fingers. His only way around is with a walker.
Cater explained that he was nearly burned from the inside out when he came in contact with the power line while in a bucket lift truck.
"It's not the feeling you think you would feel, it's not a shock," he explained, "all you can do is look, just look around, and that's all you can do."
Cater went on to explain his remarkable instinct of survival as he used his hands in the foot pedal, and his mouth to joist the knobs down to the ground for help.
"God put me here for a second chance."
The father has a six-month-old daughter and a fiance who he works to support.
"All I was trying to do was provide for them."
His fiance, Natasha Wood, now left unable to work as well as she is a 24/7 caregiver to Cater who can't be left alone.
The hardships of an unexpected emergency are hard, "we have 12 dollars left to our name," said Wood.
Wood was able to use Cater's savings to pay bill's for one month ahead and formula and food for the baby, but, now their left looking for help.
"I just shouldn't have gone to work that day."
One thing is for sure, he's grateful what he calls a second chance to be the best father to his daughter, Mckenzie Rose, whom he calls his flower.
If you would like more information on how to help the family, click here or share with people you know.