OLDSMAR, Fla. — — The southbound lanes of McMullen Booth Road reopened early Tuesday morning after officials closed them due to a gas leak.
Officials say crews accidentally struck and broke a 2-inch gas main Monday around 1:00 p.m. during an underground cable installation.
Workers were immediately unable to locate the existing valve to shut the gas off.
According to the Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office, McMullen Booth Road was closed between Curlew and SR-580. Northbound lanes reopened Monday just before 7:00 p.m.
Wee Care Preschool was evacuated as a precaution. The area south of Briar Creek was evacuated as a precaution. Clearwater Fire & Rescue assisted those under evacuation if they need to drive to their homes.
The southbound lanes of the roadway buckled as a result of the gas main break and needed to be repaved.