CLEARWATER, Fla. — A certified nursing assistant in Clearwater is facing charges after police say he passed out at work while under the influence of alcohol.
According to an arrest report, Shadeek Shakoor, 54, was supposed to be caring for four elderly residents when he started making food then passed out in a recliner.
Police say Shakoor left his food unattended on the stove, where it burned and filled the Rainbow Manor Assisted Living Facility with smoke.
PINELLAS NEWS | The latest headlines from Pinellas County
An elderly resident in the facility called 911 because they thought the building was on fire and Shakoor was not responding to their calls for help, the arrest report says.
Fire rescue officials responded and had to forcefully grab Shakoor by the shoulders and shake him awake, according to police. Three of the residents were transported to the hospital for smoke inhalation, police say the fourth was not on scene for the incident.
One of the residents, an elderly woman, was found on the floor of her room by fire rescue. According to the arrest report, Shakoor found the woman, who is wheelchair bound, laying on the ground of her room before he passed out. The report says Shakoor helped the woman into a sitting position, but left her on the floor and went to make food.
Shakoor smelled of alcohol when he was arrested and had bloodshot eyes, according to police. He faces a felony charge for abuse or neglect of an aged or disabled person.