Residents of Pinellas County with roof damage caused by Hurricane Irma can now sign up for assistance with "Operation Blue Roof."
"Operation Blue Roof" is a program managed by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers on behalf of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).
Their purpose of the program is to "provide homeowners in disaster areas with fiber-reinforced plastic sheeting to cover their damaged roofs until arrangements can be made for permanent repairs."
RELATED | Important post-hurricane information county by county
How to register for FEMA assistance
Blue Roof repairs are designed to "protect property, reduce temporary housing costs, and allow residents to live in their homes while recovering from the storm."
Operation Blue Roof is a free service to dwellings that meet all five eligibility requirements:
- The structure is the primary residence of the individual or household requesting emergency roof covering; AND
- The residence has sufficient roof framing intact (more than 50%) to support the plastic sheeting as a temporary repair, and will otherwise be capable of providing safe shelter once the plastic sheeting is installed; AND
- The resident certifies that he or she is the owner of the residence requested to be covered OR is a renter that has obtained legal permission to continue occupying the residence until more permanent repairs are made; AND
- The resident certifies that he or she will shelter in the residence requested to be covered; AND
- The roof to be repaired is composed of standard roof shingles, or a similar material which lends itself towards temporary repair with plastic sheeting or similar method. Metal roofs will be repaired as practical on a case by case basis. Roofs composed of materials such as slate, asbestos or clay tile, or other material which would be exceptionally difficult to repair, or likely to be damaged, shall not be roofed. Mobile Homes will be assessed on a case by case basis and will be covered if practicable.
Starting Friday, Pinellas County residents can sign up for Operation Blue Roof at The Outreach Center located at 12875 Walsingham Rd., Largo, FL 337744. Hours are from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Residents can also call 1-888-ROOF-BLU. You can also get more information here.
Vacation rental properties do not fit the criteria for the program and all roofs are not covered.
The service will be coming soon to Manatee, Sarasota, and Hillsborough Counties.