Pasco County deputies have issued a warning after they found skimmers at nine different gas pumps.
On Wednesday, Pasco Sheriff's Office Economic Crimes Unit received assistance from the Department of Agriculture Petroleum Inspectors to conduct gas pump checks.
“Their entire back account wiped out in a matter of minutes," said Pasco Sheriff's Office Detective Darren Hill.
- How to protect yourself from gas pump skimmers
- Gas stations making upgrades to protect you at the pump
- Nearly 900 skimmers found in Florida already in 2019
The Pasco Sheriff’s Office says thieves are at it again attaching skimmers to gas pumps that secretly steal your credit card information.
“You’ve got a really low risk, high reward scenario where people gather all this information from people and sell it on line," said Hill.
The devices are no longer the kind attach to the outside of the gas pumps.
The sheriff’s office says these card readers are inside where you’d never see them.
Thieves even have their own security tape so you’d also never know the machines were tampered with.
“There’s really nothing you can visually see from the outside that will tell you something’s wrong with that pump," said Hill.
So what can you do to keep from becoming a victim?
Authorities say to pay inside or use smart phone apps like Apple Pay that are encrypted.
Always use a credit card not a debit card when using outside pumps.
And keep an eye on your banking accounts.
If you notice something wrong, report it immediately.
New locks seem to be helping the problem at some locations, but most are still vulnerable.
A total of 147 gas station locations were checked in the county, resulting in nine skimmers being found.
These are the pumps impacted:
• 7-Eleven #17223: 6001 Trouble Creek Road, New Port Richey, Pump #3
• Citgo: 9039 Ridge Road, New Port Richey, Pump #3
• 7-Eleven: 38544 5th Avenue, Zephyrhills, Pump #2
• BP: 4109 Land O' Lakes Boulevard, Land O' Lakes, Pump #5
• 7-Eleven: 13440 SR 54, New Port Richey, Pump #1
• 7-Eleven: 9036 Little Road, New Port Richey, Pump #16
• 7-Eleven: 6315 Rowan Road, New Port Richey, Pump #12
• 7-Eleven: 4540 Rowan Road, New Port Richey, Pump #12
• 7-Eleven: 7320 SR 54, New Port Richey, Pump #12
If you believe you were compromised, contact your financial institution and notify them of the potential data breach. If you notice suspicious charges on your bank statements, notify the Pasco Sheriff's Office.