1 dead after stabbing at Port Richey apartments

Posted at 11:55 AM, Apr 07, 2016
and last updated 2016-04-07 17:56:02-04

A man is dead and a woman injured following a stabbing at a Port Richey Apartment complex.

It happened around 11 a.m. off Park Place Apartments off Binnacle Drive.

ABC Action News spoke exclusively with the man who stumbled upon the crime in progress.

Jose Ortiz told ABC Action News he was walking to the apartment complex gym when a man covered in blood ran by him.

He says he looked in the distance and saw another person moving.  That is when he whipped out his cell phone and started recording video.

'I walked up to the guy.  I noticed he was full of blood. So I asked him what was going on and he kept asking me for water," recalled Ortiz.

That man has been identified as Kenneth Martiszus, 29.

Ortiz captured a naked and bloodied Martiszus crawling out of his ground floor apartment.

"A few people started coming around and as I am recording a girl comes up behind me and she has her throat cut.  So I am like, 'Hey, what is going on here?'  She says that this guy cut her first and then went after him," Ortiz said.

Patricia Rogers, who also lives at the complex, came running to help.

"I was in the living room and I just heard this big, humongous scream and I ran out and I saw this man laying on the ground and I walked up to him and I said, 'What happened?' and he said, 'I was stabbed,'" explained Rogers.

Rogers and Ortiz stayed by Martiszus's side while other neighbors called 911.

Ortiz would take six videos.

"The next thing you know he says, 'I can't breathe,'" Rogers said.

"As I am recording, the guy dies," Ortiz said.

Ortiz covered Martiszus with a blanket.

According to Ortiz, the female victim,  22 -year-old Asia Spencer, who was able to walk and talk on her own, said the Martiszus was in the shower when he was attacked.

Ortiz told ABC Action News he repeatedly told the deputies who were first on scene that he had video but they kept yelling at him to get away from the man's body.

Ortiz approached ABC Action News with all six videos and we brought him to the attention of police.  They are too graphic and unnerving to air.

Now, all six videos are in evidence.

As deputies secured the crime scene, a search began in the air and with K-9 units on the ground to find the suspect.

It took about 90 minutes before deputies located the suspect and took him into custody.

The suspect is now being questioned but has not been named.

As for Spencer, she is stable and recovering at Bayonet Point Hospital.

Motive for the murder is still being investigated, deputies say.  They added the suspect knew the victims.