NewsPasco County


Baby poisoned from swallowing bleach is lucky to be alive

Posted at 5:44 PM, Oct 04, 2018
and last updated 2018-10-04 18:26:40-04

DADE CITY, Fla. — Parents are grateful that their baby is alive after she accidentally swallowed bleach on Thursday morning.

It's still unclear how a one-year-old baby girl swallowed bleach at her Dade City home, but the Pasco County Sheriff’s Office says preliminary information indicates that is was an accident. 

We spoke to the father who didn’t want to be on camera but told us the girl’s mother was caring for her at the time and he didn't know how it happened but he’s thankful his daughter is going to be alright. 

Florida Poison Control says from just 16 central Florida counties, they’ve received 11,126 poison exposure calls so far this year for children under the age of five.

Poison Control warns to always keep cleaning products out of the reach of children and in sight while they’re in use; store them high up, not under the sink, and keep them in their original containers.

Poison Control also says to put their 24-hotline number (1-800-222-1222) into your phone or on the refrigerator so it is readily available in case of an emergency.