Suspect in fatal stabbing to appear in court

Posted at 10:08 AM, Apr 08, 2016
and last updated 2016-04-08 10:14:02-04

A 24-year-old man is facing premeditated murder charges in the fatal stabbing of a 29-year-old Port Richey man. 

Andrews Sims will appear in court at 1 p.m.

He is charged with premeditated murder in the death of Kenneth Martiszus and attempted murder in the stabbing of 22-year-old Asia Spencer.

According to detectives, Sims came to the Park Place Apartments off Binnacle Drive around 11 a.m. Thursday.  Both Martiszus and Spencer were sitting on the porch of the lower floor apartment and asked them if he could use their phone, an arrest affidavit states.

Deputies say Spencer knew the suspect through work and illegal drug sales.

Martiszus ended up going to take a shower and that is when Spencer allowed Sims to come into the apartment and use the phone, deputies say.

That is when Spencer was attacked from behind.  Witnesses told ABC Action News her throat was slit from ear to ear.  She says she was also stabbed in the abdomen and fell to the floor.

Sims then ran into the bathroom and began attacking Martiszus, an arrest affidavit shows.

Spencer took off running to a neighbors home to get help.  After calling 911, deputies say Spencer walked back to the apartment and could see Martiszus and Sims fighting in the living room area of the apartment.  At the time, the front door of the apartment was open.

Sims took off running.

Jose Ortiz videotaped Martiszus crawling out of his apartment in the nude and collapsing on the grass.  According to witnesses, Martiszus asked for water before dying.

An air and ground search ensued for Sims.

Deputies say they found a bloodied t-shirt behind a shopping plaza just north of the apartment complex.

Sims was found at his residence off King Arthur Drive and arrested.

Deputies say Sims had fresh injuries to his arms and other minor lacerations. 

Sims denied any involvement in the crime, deputies note.

According to Martiszus's girlfriend, Spencer sold marijuana to Sims and had "other dealings" with him.

Spencer positively identified Sims as the attacker.


A man is dead and a woman injured following a stabbing at a Port Richey Apartment complex.

It happened around 11 a.m. off Park Place Apartments off Binnacle Drive.

ABC Action News spoke exclusively with the man who stumbled upon the crime in progress.

Jose Ortiz told ABC Action News he was walking to the apartment complex gym when a man covered in blood ran by him.

He says he looked in the distance and saw another person moving.  That is when he whipped out his cell phone and started recording video.

'I walked up to the guy.  I noticed he was full of blood. So I asked him what was going on and he kept asking me for water," recalled Ortiz.

That man has been identified as Kenneth Martiszus, 29.

Ortiz captured a naked and bloodied Martiszus crawling out of his ground floor apartment.

"A few people started coming around and as I am recording a girl comes up behind me and she has her throat cut.  So I am like, 'Hey, what is going on here?'  She says that this guy cut her first and then went after him," Ortiz said.

Patricia Rogers, who also lives at the complex, came running to help.

"I was in the living room and I just heard this big, humongous scream and I ran out and I saw this man laying on the ground and I walked up to him and I said, 'What happened?' and he said, 'I was stabbed,'" explained Rogers.

Rogers and Ortiz stayed by Martiszus's side while other neighbors called 911.

Ortiz would take six videos.

"The next thing you know he says, 'I can't breathe,'" Rogers said.

"As I am recording, the guy dies," Ortiz said.

Ortiz covered Martiszus with a blanket.

According to Ortiz, the female victim,  22 -year-old Asia Spencer, who was able to walk and talk on her own, said the Martiszus was in the shower when he was attacked.

Ortiz told ABC Action News he repeatedly told the deputies who were first on scene that he had video but they kept yelling at him to get away from the man's body.

Ortiz approached ABC Action News with all six videos and we brought him to the attention of police.  They are too graphic and unnerving to air.

Now, all six videos are in evidence.

As deputies secured the crime scene, a search began in the air and with K-9 units on the ground to find the suspect.

It took about 90 minutes before deputies located the suspect and took him into custody.

The suspect is now being questioned but has not been named.

As for Spencer, she is stable and recovering at Bayonet Point Hospital.

Motive for the murder is still being investigated, deputies say.  They added the suspect knew the victims.