Workers operating gas powered saws overcome by CO gas at Sprouts Farmers Market in Palm Harbor

PALM HARBOR, Fla. -- Firefighters responded Thursday night to the Sprouts Farmers Market in Palm Harbor after workers were overcome by carbon monoxide.

Dispatchers received the call at 11:12 p.m.

Authorities report contractors from Tampa Bay Plumbling inside the grocery store were operating operating gas powered saws when they were overcome by the gas.

Five workers complained of CO poisoning. Paramedics transported four to local hospitals. One drove themselves for treatment. The injuries are not considered serious.

In Pinellas County, when five or more patients are injured at the same time it is considered a "mass casualty" incident.

The Palm Habor Fire Department contacted the Florida Department of Health for a possible follow-up investigation.

Firefighters were still on scene as of 3:00 a.m. venting the grocery store. It is unknown if the CO poisoning will prevent the store from opening up Friday morning at 7:00 a.m.


____________________
NOTE: This story has been edited to correct the type of gas involved. Originally, we stated the workers were overcome by carbon dioxide gas.

Print this article Back to Top