TAMPA, Fla. — The Tampa Police Department is ready to have visible patrols across the city, concentrating their efforts on shopping plazas and retail establishments.
Officers with Tampa police will begin their activity around International Mall, West Shore Mall and the Dale Mabry retail corridor. They will have motor units helping with traffic patrols in the major shopping areas, as well as police K9 and horse mounted patrols in different shopping lots.
Tampa Police Chief Brian Dugan said shoppers can help deter crime by following some easy shopping tips:
- If your car has a trunk, use it. Put valuables in the trunk or in a locked glove compartment.
- Never leave cell phones, briefcases, suitcases or electronic devices in plain view.
- Avoid overloading yourself with packages. It is important to have clear visibility and freedom of motion to avoid mishaps.
- Even though you are rushed and thinking about a thousand things, stay alert to your surroundings.
- Notify the credit card issuer immediately if your credit card is lost, stolen or misused.
- Remember to keep your car doors locked. The majority of auto burglaries are committed on unlocked vehicles.