HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY, Fla. — Hillsborough County Mosquito Management Services is giving away free mosquito fish to residents to help reduce backyard mosquito breeding.
All Hillsborough County residents are eligible for free fish, including those who live in Tampa, Temple Terrace and Plant City.
Hillsborough County is providing free fish as an effective, natural way for residents to control the spread of mosquito-borne disease.
Things to know about the events
- Due to COVID-19 social distancing protocols, the event will be drive-thru only and you can't leave your vehicle
- To receive fish, you need a photo ID showing you live in Hillsborough County. County workers will scan or enter your ID information into our mosquito database. After that step is completed, you will move up to next station to receive your mosquito fish.
- Limited quantities - mosquito fish available while supplies last
Mosquito fish facts
- Mosquito fish are small, native freshwater fish that eat mosquito larvae
- Place fish in standing water such as backyard ponds, fountains, animal troughs, and unused swimming pools to effectively and naturally, manage mosquito populations
- They require no feeding and care is limited to protecting them from garden sprays, chlorine, or other chemicals used for cleaning
- Mosquito fish do not lay eggs and require no special environment for breeding
- 100% of the County's mosquito fish supply has been raised at Mosquito Management Services headquarters making the operation more sustainable
- Homegrown fish are more likely to be healthier than fish transported from farms
Schedule and locations
Find Mosquito Ninja and Gambuzi-San Mobile Lab truck in the location parking lot from 8 a.m. to noon on the following Saturdays:
- July 10 – Keystone Rec Center, 17928 Gunn Hwy, Odessa
- July 24 – SouthShore Library, 15816 Beth Shields Way, Ruskin
- August 7 – Mike E. Sansone Community Park, 1702 N. Park Road, Plant City
- August 21 – Temple Terrace Public Library, 202 Bullard Pkwy, Temple Terrace
- September 11 - Alderman's Ford Conservation Park, 100 Alderman Ford Parks Dr., Plant City
- September 25 - Mosquito Management Services, 6527 Eureka Springs Road, Tampa