NewsHillsborough County

Actions

Firefighters warn about keyless cars after Davis Island man dies from carbon monoxide poisoning

Urge to residents to get carbon monoxide detectors
Posted: 4:49 PM, Jan 09, 2019
Updated: 2019-01-10 14:08:04Z
push to start car.jpg

TAMPA, Fla. — Tampa firefighters are warning people of the dangers of keyless ignition cars after a death from carbon monoxide poisoning on Davis Island.

Thomas Martino was killed and his wife Pamela was sent to the hospital after they were poisoned in their home on E. Davis Blvd. Investigators believe the Martinos’ left their Mercedes SUV running in the garage that is connected to their townhouse.

SUGGESTED:

“It is a push-button vehicle,” said firefighter Matt Rusell. Newer push button cars tend to be quieter cars and it's very easy to forget if you are distracted to turn the button off.”

Russell said poisoning calls are on the rise as more of the newer push button cars are being manufactured.

"It appears they are on the rise, people forget to turn them off,” said Russell.

Some Davis Islands residents are learning from this scare. Tampa firefighters are urging residents to install carbon monoxide detectors.

“It just makes you aware that it’s a danger when you find out someone literally across the street died from it,” said neighbor Ethan Ogborn.

Warning signs of carbon monoxide are nausea, vomiting and headache.