NewsHillsborough County

Actions

5 transported to hospital, 3 critical after car left running overnight in Carrollwood garage

3 critical after car left running overnight in Tampa garage WFTS ACTION AIR 1.png
Posted at 12:30 PM, Sep 12, 2022
and last updated 2022-09-12 17:17:10-04

HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY, Fla. — Carbon monoxide exposure from a car being left on all night in a garage in Carrollwood caused a total of five people to be transported to the hospital Monday morning.

Hillsborough County Fire Rescue (HCFR) said they responded to a home on the 12500 block of Sugar Pine Way after receiving a call about "an unresponsive victim in a residence."

HCFR said once firefighters arrived at the home they determined the home had been filled with carbon monoxide due to a car being left running overnight.

Firefighters, after putting on respiratory protection, rescued three adults from the home. They were transported to the hospital and are currently in critical condition.

According to HCFR, the two adults who went to the home to check on the other adults were also overcome by carbon monoxide and taken to the hospital where they are in "stable condition."

Following the rescue of the occupants, crews ventilated the home and used gas-detecting equipment to ensure zero carbon monoxide levels.

"Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas. Cars kept in attached garages and gas appliances can quickly disperse carbon monoxide into a structure. The only way to detect harmful levels is by installing carbon monoxide detectors," HCFR said in a press release. "#YourHCFR encourages you to install these life-saving devices, and if you have them in use already, regularly check them to ensure they are operating correctly."