A Brooksville man and his dog escaped a fire in his home when the dog woke him up to alert him to the blaze.
At 4:25 a.m. Monday, Hernando County Fire and Emergency Services (HCFES) and Brooksville Fire Department (BFD) responded to a residential fire at the 6000 block of California St.
Crews arrived and found heavy smoke and fire coming from the single wide manufactured home. Fire crews advanced multiple hose streams and extinguishing the fire.
Officials say the owner’s canine woke him up allowing him and his dog to escape the fire without injury. According to the owner, he had a fire in the fireplace. He believes a log rolled out of the fireplace igniting the floor of the home.
Fire officials say there were no working smoke detectors in the home.
The fire was completely under control at 5:15 a.m. The fire caused severe damage to the home resulting in a total loss, authorities say.
The origin and cause had been investigated by fire crews on scene and found to be consistent with the owner’s statement.
HCFES responded with 2 fire engines, 1 fire engine from BFD, 2 ALS medic units, 1 Ladder Truck, 1 Tender, and 2 Battalion Chiefs for a total of 17 personnel.
HCFES would like to remind the community change smoke detector batteries twice a year and conduct routine fire risk assessment on your homes. Fireplaces should be properly maintained and have protective screens to prevent sparks and debris from escaping.