A three day undercover sting by the Citrus County Sheriff's Office ended in 12 unlicensed contractors facing charges.
The sting was a joint operation by the Sheriff's Office and Department of Business and Professional Regulation.
The following individuals are facing citations:
- Justin Shingler, 41, of Crystal River
- Sasha Schiller, 34, of Floral City
- Ted Bachman, 58, of Beverly Hills
- Arthur Bolinger, 48, of Dunnellon
- Joanna Chavez, 45, of Dunnellon
- David Nice, 36, of Inverness
- Francesco Sciolino, 54, of Hernando
- Douglas Stawarz, 55, of Homosassa
- Culberth Duncan, 32, of Inverness
- Robert Carlisle, 32, of Hernando
- Jerry Mathes, 48, of Ocala
- George Horton, 44, of Okclawaha
According to deputies, they organized the sting following increasing complaints from individuals doing construction related jobs without proper contracting licenses.
Deputies say they obtained a list of suspects via word of mouth, business cards, fliers and advertising on social media.
Undercover deputies called these contractors to come to a home and give them an estimate for remodeling.
The sting took place between May 24-26, an affidavit states.
All of the above listed contractors reportedly showed up to the home, provided estimates for their work and and advised undercover detectives who to write a check out to to pay for the remodel.
On June 1, deputies contacted the suspects and told them they had each one a partial bid on the construction remodel.
All of the suspects were issued citations to appear in court. Each are facing one count of person operating as uncertified/electrical or alarm system contractor and one count of contract without a registration/certification/license.
Some of the suspects have prior arrests and convictions. David Nice is a registered sex offender. He was convicted in West Virginia of sexual assault on a minor in 2007.