Timeline: What happened to Kyle Plush, teen found dead inside van in Ohio who called 911

Posted at 5:30 PM, Apr 12, 2018
and last updated 2018-04-12 17:30:10-04

CINCINNATI — Kyle Jacob Plush called 911 twice hours before he was found dead inside his car at Seven Hills School. 

Plush, 16, first called 911 at 3:16 p.m. Tuesday. He cried for help and repeatedly told the operator he could not hear what she was saying.

“I can’t hear you … I need help, I’m gonna die here,” Plush said.


Boy dies trapped invanin school parking lot: 'Tell my mom I love her,' boy said in911call

Asteenwho died after being stuck in van pleaded for help, why didn't officers find him?

The first unit, with two Cincinnati officers, was dispatched to respond at 3:23 p.m. They arrived minutes later, reported not seeing anything and attempted to call Plush’s phone. There was no answer. 

A Hamilton County sheriff's deputy checked the area again at 3:48 p.m. to no avail. 

At some point, Plush called 911 a second time. It is not clear the exact time he made this second call.

"This is not a joke," he said. "I am trapped inside a gold Honda Odyssey van in the parking lot of Seven Hills ... Send officers immediately. I'm almost dead."

A passerby called police at 8:56 p.m., and dispatch requested police and ambulance minutes later. 

Nick Francis, director of Experiential Learning at Seven Hills School, said in a 911 call a security guard contacted him and told him to call 911 because they found a kid in his car. Francis told the dispatcher he wasn’t at the school, but they had been “missing a kid.”

“I got a call from a security guy there because we were trying to find this kid, and he just all of a sudden called me, 'Nick we found him. Call 911, he's in his car,’” Francis told the dispatcher.

Around 9 p.m., according to police, a family member discovered Plush dead inside his 2002 Honda Odyssey -- a death Hamilton County Coroner Lakshmi Sammarco would rule accidental "asphyxia caused by chest compression."

Something -- neither Sammarco nor Lt. Steve Saunders indicated what -- had pressed so hard against Plush's chest that he suffocated.

Here's a timeline of what unfolded: 

  • 3:16 p.m. Plush calls 911
  • 3:23 p.m. Call ends, and dispatcher assigns first unit to respond 
  • 3:26 p.m. First unit arrives on scene
  • 3:37 p.m. Officers call back Plush’s phone and got voicemail; their assignment is marked complete
  • 3:48 p.m. Deputy checks again
  • 8:56  p.m. Passerby calls 911
  • 8:58  p.m. Duplicate calls come in*
  • 8:59 p.m. Dispatch advises a missing child was found in a vehicle -- Police and ambulance requested
  • 9:11 p.m. Hamilton County officials put up crime scene tape
  • 9:42 p.m. Officials direct traffic away from scene
  • 11:55 p.m. Cincinnati Police Department closes incident 
  • 12:19 a.m. Criminal Investigations Section clears scene

(Information from Incident Detail Report) 

We are not publishing Plush's 911 calls due to their graphic, disturbing nature and out of respect to his family.