NewsLocal News


Police: Missing 'Broncos guy' Paul Kitterman hitchhiked to Pueblo to go 'someplace warm'

Posted at 7:11 AM, Oct 29, 2014
and last updated 2014-10-29 12:08:15-04

A Kremmling man who disappeared during last Thursday's Broncos game is back with his family, after being found safe in Pueblo Tuesday.

Police in Pueblo said Paul Kitterman told them he had "his fill of football" and that he wanted to travel to someplace warm, according to KKTV in Colorado Springs.

Kitterman told police he had hitchhiked and walked south, KKTV reported.

Police said Kitterman told them he slept in treed areas and in bushes during his journey.

Kitterman also said he got rid of his Broncos hat because he did not want to be recognized, Pueblo police stated Wednesday.

"He was speaking and answering questions intelligibly that were asked of him," police stated.

Family members posted a new message on the "Help Find Paul Kitterman" Facebook page Wednesday morning:

"The family of Paul Kitterman would like to thank each and everyone of you for your support and kindness. We cannot thank you all enough and will be forever grateful to all of you. The family is happy to report Paul has been found and they are now with him and he is safe. The family wanted to hold of reporting that Paul was located due to the fact they wanted to ensure it was Paul that was located and not someone else. The family is very much part of this page and read the comments on here. We know there are many questions that some of you may have but for the time being we are asking that you respect there privacy as they have been through a lot. We love all of you and we will never forget your kindness, compassion, and your willingness to help us find Paul. God Bless all of you...."

The Denver Police Department said Kitterman was found near a Pueblo furniture store along the I-25 service road, near W. 31st Street. KRDO reported that a concerned citizen recognized him and contacted police.

When he was found, Kitterman told Pueblo Police he just liked going for walks, according to Capt. Eric Bravo. Pueblo is about 110 miles from Denver.

Police said no foul play was suspected in his five-day disappearance.

A friend of the 53-year-old told 7NEWS that Kitterman was with a group of friends and his son in the south stands at Sports Authority Field, on Oct. 23, when he stepped away to the restroom during halftime and never came back.

Kitterman, an unmarried construction worker and ranch hand, did not have his cell phone or any credit cards with him at the game. He only had about $50 cash with him, Bakke told ABC News.

Previous story: Colorado man goes missing at Broncos Game