Don’t forget to water your Christmas tree! That’s the message today from Hillsborough County Fire Rescue, which staged a blazing demonstration to warn folks about the dangers of Christmas tree fires.
Each year in the U.S., more than 200 Christmas trees catch fire in homes. Reasons include dry trees, old faulty lights and overloaded wiring.
Rhode Island state fire marshal James Gumbley says real trees should be watered daily. He also advises that people keep their trees at least three feet away from heat sources.
He told the Associated Press that other holiday decorations should also be kept away from fireplaces, radiators, portable heaters and candles.
Gumbley advises checking lights to make sure there are no exposed, frayed or pinched wires.
After the holidays, Gumbley says to dispose of Christmas trees promptly, before they dry out and become a major fire hazard.