News

Actions

Famous Instagram dog dies at BluePearl facility in New York City

Chloe died from ‘medical error'
Posted at 10:59 PM, Oct 26, 2017

With more than 180,000 Instagram followers, Chloe The Mini French, was an internet sensation.

The 4-year-old French Bulldog was verified and sponsored by big names in the travel, food and fashion industry.

Loni Edwards posted the sad news to Chloe’s followers Wednesday evening.   

“We’re numb and heartbroken to share that Chloe has gone to heaven,” she wrote. 

Edwards said Chloe died from a "fatal error" by staff at a Manhattan veterinary hospital following a routine surgical procedure.

Edwards said on Chloe's Instagram account that the pup "did great" when she went to a facility for the procedure Wednesday morning.

The dog was then taken to BluePearl, a specialty and emergency pet hospital in Chelsea, for overnight observation. It was there that the staff attached the oxygen to her by mistake, "the pressure of which blew out her lungs, led to multiple cardiac arrests and ultimately killed her," Edwards wrote.

In August, Edwards and Chloe were profiled on Nightline for a segment about “expert advice on how to make your pet a social influencer.”

Carrie Johnson O’ Brion, the Communications Manager for BluePearl Veterinary Partners released this statement to ABC Action News:

We are so very sorry for the loss of Chloe, a special dog who brought joy to thousands of people.  This was a medical error that shouldn’t have happened. We are conducting a review and will be taking immediate steps to ensure nothing like this ever again occurs at one of our hospitals. We recognize that pets are part of our families, and we strive to give our patients the same care we would want our own pets to receive. As animal lovers, we are so saddened by Chloe's death, and we are committed to working with the Edwards family and responding to their concerns.