News

Actions

Duplex kitchen fire forces 2 Lakeland families out of their homes

Posted: 3:49 PM, Mar 11, 2017
Updated: 2017-03-11 16:31:15-05

A kitchen fire at a duplex in the 1500 block of Moonlite Drive has displaced two families, a Polk County official said. 

The fire broke out about 1:15 a.m. Saturday, March 11, at 1525 Moonlite Drive in Lakeland, Polk County spokesman Kevin Watler said in a statement.

When firefighters with Polk County Fire Rescue arrived, heavy smoke and flames were seen at the rear of the building.

Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire to prevent it from spreading to the adjacent unit. The apartment where the fire began sustained heavy kitchen damage and smoke and water damage throughout the unit. 

The apartment next door received smoke and water damage. Utilities to both units were turned off due to the fire. 

The fire appeared to have been accidental, the statement said.

The American Red Cross was contacted to assist a 40-year-old woman and her 6-month-old grandson. A 48-year-old woman, who lives next door at 1523 Moonlite Drive with her 11-year-old son, declined Red Cross assistance.

Both units had working smoke alarms. 

No injuries were reported.