This weekend is just like Christmas at ABC Action News. It marks the return of the annual Christmas In July Toy Drive.
All the magic begins at 2 p.m. today with a toy collection drive at Amalie Arena in Tampa’s Channelside district prior to the start of the Tampa Bay Storm game at 3:30 p.m. The fun continues Sunday at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg.
Proceeds will benefit the Salvation Army Holiday Toy Drive.
In partnership with the Storm, Tampa Bay Rays and Tampa Bay Lightning, ABC Action News is showcasing an annual tradition dedicated to making sure children in working class and underprivileged families in the Tampa Bay area will enjoy a wonderful holiday season.
ABC Action News anchors and reporters, Salvation Army volunteers and Chase volunteers will be on hand to collect the toys at Amalie Arena on Saturday. The toy collection drive continues on Sunday with Rays volunteers, Salvation Army volunteers, ABC Action News chief meteorologist Denis Phillips and his children at Tropicana Field before the Rays game.
Here is a rundown of the toy drive events on Saturday and Sunday:
Amalie Arena on Channelside Drive Saturday
- Toy collection drive begins at 2 p.m. on the plaza
- Christmas in July events also will be held at halftime of the Philadelphia Soul vs the Storm game.
Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg Sunday
- Toy drive will be held from 12 p.m. to 12:45 p.m. at Gate 1.
- At 12:45 p.m., the pregame ceremony in center field will honor Salvation Army.
- In the Seventh Inning, Denis and his family will sing “Take Me Out to the Ball Game.”