The deadlines for mailing your holiday packages are fast approaching and you may want to get your gifts in the mail sooner than later to save yourself from paying extra for expedited delivery.
But, you want to make sure your packages are getting to their destination in one piece.
ABC Action News teamed up with our Scripps sister station in WRTV in Indianapolis, Indiana to see which shipping carrier is the fastest and most gentle with our packages.
RTV6 reporter Paris Lewbel mailed 2 sets of snowglobes that spell out A-B-C.
One set of the fragile items were mailed via FedEx, one USPS and another set by UPS.
ABC Action News got the first snow globe two and a half days after they were mailed on Dec. 9 from the Postal Service.
The package was not only delivered first, but unbroken. FedEx also delivered the package in one piece. However, the properly packaged snow globe broke in route with UPS.
According to the shipping companies, they all have similar guidelines for mailing fragile items:
- Use foamed plastic or padding to protect your items
- Bubble wrap, expanded polystyrene "peanuts" recommended
- Use a box similar in size to the item being mailed
- UPS points out on their website fragile objects such as electronics, glass and ceramics require special packaging with added cushioning or a double (over) box.
- UPS also says online that they do not recommend clothing, blankets, towels and newspapers for cushion.