Five ways to get the largest tax refund

Posted at 5:38 PM, Jan 19, 2016
and last updated 2016-01-28 16:35:17-05

Tax season is here, but it’s a season not everyone is happy about.

“I file taxes every year, but I want to know when I stop paying the government out of my pension,” said Gloria Dockery.

Don’t worry -- United Way Suncoast is crunching the numbers for free.

Last year alone they put $20 million in refunds back in the pockets of people who need it the most around the Bay Area. For example, they helped seniors in Riverview who know that stretching their dollars is important.

So when it comes to getting the largest tax refund, follow these five steps:

  • Get free tax prep: United Way offers free services at more than 40 locations and online around the bay area. It could save you on average $200.
  • File past due tax returns: You can go back up to three years on your taxes to see if you got the best return and re-file if needed.
  • Earned income tax credit: If you made any money during the year see if you qualify for this credit, it could be up to $400.
  • Write-off medical or dental expenses: Have medical or dental expenses? You may be able to write-off prescription medication, glasses and hearing aids with proof.
  • Saver’s credit: If you have an IRA or employee sponsored retirement plan, you could qualify for this getting up to $1,000.

This may help get money back that could have you smiling all the way to the bank.

For more information on the United Way free tax prep, click here.