News

Actions

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson warns of pet hazards

Posted: 5:17 PM, Sep 30, 2015
Updated: 2015-09-30 21:17:30Z

Celebrity Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson’s newly-rescued puppy Brutus died after eating a toxic mushroom in his Florida yard.

He posted a picture on Instagram saying his little man was playing outside. But within hours, a lethal mushroom he ate rapidly destroyed his liver and immune system.

Now Johnson is issuing a warning about hazards for pets.  

It is really common.

Hundreds of thousands of dogs and cats every year are taken to the emergency room after accidently being poisoned.

These dangers are lurking right in your backyard.

When the seasons start to change, animals are welcoming the break from the hot, sticky weather. With more time outdoors, there are a lot of new things pets can pick up.

In fact, fall is mushroom season.

While 99 percent have little to no toxicity, that one percent can cause life-threatening problems for animals.

Unfortunately recognizing the toxic from non-toxic is tough, so the best way to keep your pet safe is keep them away from any mushrooms.

Leaves are another threat. Piles in your lawn can quickly grow mold. The bacteria can upset a pet’s stomach fast.

The Humane Society of Tampa Bay also seeing an increase of dog deaths from Bufo toads.

“We had a Bufo toad recently and the dog came in seizuring,” said veterinarian Dr. Christine Glenn.

And with all the rain, standing water is an issue too.

“There had been some reports of dogs being exposed to giardia from standing water. So we were seeing an influx of dogs with vomiting, diarrhea,” said Glenn.

With that comes mosquitos, one bite from an infected mosquito can spread heartworm disease. Prevention for that is as easy as taking a monthly pill.

As for protecting your pet from all the other hazards out there, “The best thing is to always keep your pets supervised in your yard that the best of you can. If you noticed anything concerning certainly have your pet seen immediately,” said Glenn.

Inside your house poses a lot of dangers as well. One or two bites from a lily can result in kidney failure. So as the holidays inch closer, be mindful of buying plants like rosemary, mistletoe and poinsettias.