Hurricane Hermine made landfall in Florida's Big Bend area early Friday as the first hurricane to hit the state in more than a decade.
The Category 1 storm hit just east of St. Marks around 1:30 a.m. EDT with winds around 80 mph, according to the U.S. National Hurricane Center. Hermine later weakened to a tropical storm as it moved farther inland.
The storm is causing disruptions across Tampa Bay and the surrounding areas.
Here is a list of school closures, road closures and outages that have come into the ABC Action News newsroom.
SCHOOL CLOSINGS FOR FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 2
- Hillsborough County Schools Closed Friday, 9/2
- Pinellas County Schools Closed Friday, 9/2
- Citrus County Schools Closed Friday, 9/2
- Pasco County Schools Closed Friday, 9/2
- Hernando County Schools Closed Friday, 9/2
- Manatee County Schools Closed Friday, 9/2
- Sumter County Schools Closed Friday, 9/2
- Pasco-Hernando State College Closed Friday, 9/2
- St.Petersburg Christian School Closed Friday, 9/2
- USF campuses Closed Friday, 9/2
- Stetson University College of Law Gulfport and Tampa campuses Closed Friday, 9/2
- Saint Leo University Closed Friday, 9/2
- Nova Southeastern University Closed Friday, 9/2
The Florida Department of Health in Hillsborough County is CLOSED Friday, Sept. 2nd and Monday, Sept. 5th. They will return to normal operations Tuesday, Sept. 6th.
- Busch Gardens Tampa Bay and Adventure Island are closed Friday, September 2.
- Due to high volume of 911 calls, the Citizen Information Center is now open. Residents can call (727) 464-4333 with their preparedness questions or to report issues.
- Wounded Warriors Abilities Ranch "Alive Ride" has been POSTPONED until September 8, 2016 at 9.00am.
- Pasco County Public Transportation (PCPT) buses have suspended service for Friday morning, Sept. 2, until further notice due to heavy rains and wind expected to occur for several hours.
The following parks are closed until further notice.
Pine Island Park, located at 10840 Pine Island Drive near Bayport, is closed due to flooding and damage to the observation deck.
- Bayport Park, located at 4140 Cortez Blvd. in Bayport, is closed due to damage to the fishing pier.
US 19 closed from Fort Island Trail to the Crystal River mall due to flooding.
- All Neighborly Care Network programs will be closed Friday, 9/2. This includes MEALS ON WHEELS, Senior Dining Sites, Adult Day Care Centers, and transportation.
- Amtrak has suspended service in the Southeast Region. Alerts available here.
POWER OUTAGE LINKS
WATCH NOW | Titan Interactive Radar
Watch the latest Tropical Update
Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.
Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox.