Sarasota County is one of only two Florida school districts to be graded "A" every year since grading began in 2004.
New this year, an app that is a "one-stop shop for parents" in Sarasota County. Through the app, parents can access calendars, lunch menus, the school directory, "My School Bucks," and district news via social media. Parents can also pick a specific school(s) to follow and will have access to the Student and Parent portal.
Click here for a fact sheet from Sarasota County schools about the app.
Several of the 53 schools in Sarasota County went through construction and renovation projects to improve their quality for the 2017-2018 school year. Below are examples of many projects:
- Booker High: Digital Design Program classroom renovations
- Emma E. Booker Elementary: ongoing upgrades to cafeteria/auditorium
- Englewood Elementary: renovations to a classroom wing
- Lakeview Elementary: front office renovations with safety/security improvements
- Laurel Nokomis School: four new TechActive classrooms, new playground, landscaping
- Pine View School: interior renovations in the cafeteria, auditorium, orchestra/art room
- Sarasota High: multi-phase renovation project of west campus completed
- Suncoast Technical College-North Port: scheduled to open in October
- Venice Elementary: renovations to front officer & new conference room
- Venice Middle: renovated administration offices
During the 2017-2018 school year, approximately 17,000 students will ride the bus to school. District buses will travel close to 5.5 million miles.