As Florida continues to see record-breaking new cases of COVID-19 across the state, education leaders are having second thoughts of starting school on time.
Here in the Tampa Bay area, school district leaders are finalizing their plans to reopen campuses to students and teachers. Some school districts have pushed back their first day of school by two weeks and others are still in the process of figuring out their revised first dates.
Below is a list of where each Tampa Bay area school district stands:
[NOTE: These dates are subject to change]:
- DeSoto: Monday, August 10
- Hernando: Monday, August 31*
- Citrus: Thursday, August 20
- Hardee: Monday, August 12*
- Hillsborough: Monday, August 24, eLearning and HVS only for the first four weeks and the district will discuss on Tuesday, September 8 to reevaluate reopnening plan.*
- Manatee: Monday, August 17*
- Pasco: Monday, August 24*
- Pinellas: Monday, August 24*
- Polk: Monday, August 24*
- Sarasota: Monday, August 31*
- Highlands: Tuesday, August 17*
*Reopening plans approved by Florida Department of Education