FLORIDA — Are you trying to sell your car, truck or SUV? As a seller, there are steps you want to be sure to complete before handing over the keys to the new owner of the vehicle you're selling to ensure you are no longer liable for it.
First, be sure you take off the license plate from the vehicle you're selling. You'll also want to apply for a temporary license plate to allow potential buyers to test drive your vehicle. Proof of insurance is required in order to be issued a temporary tag.
Next, you'll want to transfer the title to the person buying your vehicle. If you've lost or misplaced your title you'll have to apply for a duplicate title . The Florida High Patrol says if you forget to fill out form HSMV 82101 , which removes the seller's registration from the vehicle they're selling, you and/or your insurance could be held liable if the vehicle is involved in a crash with the new owner at the wheel.
For more important steps, check out the list below and/or visit the Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles website .
- Apply for a demonstration only temporary tag, if needed;
- Conduct a VIN inspection, if necessary;
- Record odometer reading on title;
- Complete title transfer in a motor vehicle service center ;
- Remove license plate from the sold vehicle;
- Surrender the license plate, if applicable; and
- File a Notice of Sale, form HSMV 82050.