Tucked away under the Selmon Expressway, you can find one of Tampa's best brunch spots.
The Wat Mongkolratanaram, or Wat Tampa for short, is a Buddhist temple that offers an outdoor Thai food market on Sunday mornings. Over a dozen vendors serve up all types of authentic Thai cuisine.
The menu consists of:
- Grilled pork or chicken on a stick
- "Guiteow" - Beef or pork noodle soup
- "Phat Thai" - vegetable and noodles
- Various chicken curry dishes with vegetables
- Egg rolls
- "Som Dom" - Thai Papaya salad
- Fried bananas, taro root, and sweet potatoes
- A wide variety of Thai desserts
Don't forget to quench your thirst with Thai tea, coffee, coconut juice or lemonade.
Once you're done with your meal, walk over to the produce tent to pick up your favorite fresh fruit and vegetables. There are also orchids, flowers, fruit trees and other plants for sale.
The Thai market runs every Sunday from 8:30 a.m. - 1 p.m. Make sure to show up early! The food goes quickly.
The market is cash only and the menu is very affordable. All proceeds are donated to the temple.
Wat Tampa is located at 5306 Palm River Road, Tampa. Click here for more information.