TAMPA, Fla. -- An effort is underway to get Floridians back on their feet, as many are out of work, out of a steady income and out of the financial security that comes with a job.
The Gandy Civic Association and State Representative Jackie Toledo are teaming up to hold a three-phased event series to get people the tools they need to seek employment.
"We feel a sense of duty to help our residents to live and get back on their feet successfully," said the neighborhood group's vice president, Shawn Brown.
"The unemployment website has gone down, it’s been a very big disappointment so I’m trying to do my part in helping as many people as possible," said Rep. Toledo.
The series of events includes a professional clothing giveaway, career interview guidance and a career fair, open to all:
- Thursday, May 21 – Dinner/Professional Clothing Giveaway; 4-7 p.m.
- Thursday, May 28 – Dinner/Career Interview Guidance; 3-7 p.m.
- Thursday, June 4 – Dinner/First Annual South Tampa Neighborhood/Community Job Fair; 3-7 p.m.
There is no cost to attend. Organizers say they will remain in compliance with social distancing guidelines, including limiting the center to 50 percent capacity, maintaining 6-feet distances for tables and vendors inside and outside and suggest masks.
During the job fair, participants should dress professionally and bring a resume. It's not required, but registration is available here.
If you are searching for a job and would like to attend the job fair, please register through this link: https://forms.gle/PNnm8aSA5mofousi9 [forms.gle].
"I think this is an opportunity to give back to the community. Everyone is pretty desperate on what is happening next and I think most people just want to get back to work," said Rep. Toledo.
There is also transportation help. Brown said Uber is providing free rides from 2 p.m. to 8 p.m. to and from the Civic Center on event days. The Hillsborough Area Regional Transit Authority is providing up to 30 of the 30-day bus passes and the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office is donating 19 bikes, both during the career fair.
Organizers say these groups have already committed to the fair:
- Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office
- Hillsborough County Community College
- Masonry Association of Florida
- Hillsborough County School District
- Florida Transportation Builders Association
- IHS Staffing
- Viatek Solutions
- Florida Department of Transportation
- Happy’s Home Center
- West Coast Chapter of Independent Electrical Contractors
- University of South Florida
- Tampa Bay Builders Association
They are seeking more employers, for both entry level and higher paying jobs, to join. Those hiring and wanting to participate can contact Rep. Toledo's office at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 267-614-1063.